Monday 27 August 2018

(6.1.11) Synthesis



What is Synthesis

Synthesis-  Synthesis means the combination of two or more simple sentences in to one new sentence. That new sentence may be a simple sentence or a compound sentence or a complex sentence.
The following are the ways of the combining two or more simple sentences into one simple sentence:-
(1) By using Participles:
(a)  Hari saw a deadly snake. He ran away. 
= Seeing a deadly snake, Hari ran away
(b) He opened the cage. He let the lion out. 
= opening the cage, he let the lion out
(c)  Ram finished his home work. He went to market. 
= Having finished his home work, Ram went to the market.
(d) He was tired or walking. He needed some rest. 
= Tired of walking, he needed some rest.
(2) By using an infinitives:
(a)  He went to the market. He wanted to buy some sugar.
= He went  to market to buy some sugar
(b) The boy is running fast. He wants to catch the bus.
 = The boy is running fast to catch the bus.
(3) By using an adverb or and adverbial phrase
(a)  He gave the answer to the question. The answer was correct.
= He gave the answer to the question correctly.
(b) It was my friend’s birthday. I congratulate him. 
= I congratulated my friend on his birthday 
OR I congratulated my friend. It was his birthday 
 =  I congratulated my friend on his birthday.

(4) By using an absolute phrase:
(a)  The Sun set. We returned home. 
= The Sun having set, we returned home.
(b) The police arrived. The robbers ran away.
= The police having arrived, the robbers ran away.
(5) By using a Noun or a Phrase in Apposition:
(a)  Milton was a famous poet. He wrote Paradise Lost.
= Milton, a famous poet, wrote Paradise Lost.
(b) Separate- Columbus was a sailor. He discovered America. 
=Combined-  Columbus, a sailor, discovered America
(6) By using a Preposition with a Noun or a Gerund.
(a)  Separate - I Came home. I Saw my mother.  
Combined- On coming home, I saw my mother
(b) Separate- Ram bought a book. He gave fifty rupees for it
= Ram bought a book for fifty rupees.

Search This Blog